Sunday mornings are glorious. They’re made for laziness. Sundays are truly the one day of the week where not moving from your bed is socially acceptable and your roommates won’t yell at you. But perhaps after hopping from Harry’s to Chuck’s to Lucy’s and then BACK to Chuck’s the Saturday night before, you decide you need to actually get up out of your bed and eat some food to recover. Or even if you fell asleep in your bed the night before at 10:30pm watching The Office but now it’s 9am and you need to cleanse your body from the stupid amount of ice cream you ate while you were falling asleep.
Yeah, I know you’ve been there.
We often neglect breakfast, even though it’s the most important meal of the day. We’re busy humans, we’ve got places to go and things to do. Who has time for breakfast? The answer is everyone. Yes, including you. You truly only need less than 10 minutes for breakfast, and those minutes help provide your energy for your entire day! Crazy!
Unfortunately, breakfast kind of sucks. Do I have cereal? I’ve had cereal the past 4 days in a row and I’m really trying to save my milk for when I actually want cereal so I don’t have to go to the grocery store until I ABSOLUTELY have to. Do I want toast? Do I even have any butter or jelly for said toast? I don’t think so. I really wish I had some mini muffins right now. But what do I have? I have bread. What am I supposed to do with this loaf of bread?
Don’t panic- I’m here to help for you breakfast dreams. For this bangin’ sandwich, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 Slices of bread (any kind, I prefer Monk’s Sunflower bread)
- 2 Eggs
- Spinach and/or Kale
- Olive Oil or Cooking Spray
- 1 Avocado
- Toast your bread to your desired toastiness.
- Turn the stove on the low heat. Lightly coat a small-medium sized cooking pan in olive oil/cooking spray.
- Crack 2 eggs in the pan and let sit for a few minutes until eggs are cooked to perfection (I prefer my eggs sunny-side up)
- Optional: cut open the avocado (you may use the entire avocado or only 1 half), and slice with a knife and/or fork until it’s a guacamole consistency. Spread the avocado spread on each slice of toast.
- Place some spinach and/or kale leaves and place on each slice of toast.
- Optional: spread some salsa on top of the spinach & kale leaves.
- Once the eggs are cooked, place each egg on one slice of toast.
- Optional: Put some sriracha on top (DO IT!!)
Finally. You’re done. There’s a sandwich in your hands, or maybe not, depending on how many ingredients you ate while making it.
Not only is this sandwich cheap, but it’s packed with protein and good fats for you body as you go on a run… or run back to your bed.
Total Estimated Cost: $4
Total Cook Time: 5-7 minutes