“My favorite food is spaghetti and meatballs” – me since I was in the womb.
I make sure I always have pasta around the house- it’s such an essential and easy meal. If I come home pissed from school, pasta is there to make my day better.
I spent my Spring 2016 semester studying abroad in Dublin, Ireland. There were so many cheap and wildly fresh ingredients at my fingertips, I always had pasta and vegetables on hand. Pasta has the potential to be pretty bland and basic, but when I was abroad, I taught myself that there are so many ways to spice up pasta dishes. The following dish is one of my favorites, since it combines all of my favorite fucking foods: pasta, vegetables, and hot tomato oil.
- Handful of spinach
- Zucchini and/or eggplant (a handful, chopped)
- Pastabilities Hot Tomato Oil or Pasta Sauce
- Mushrooms (2 or 3 chopped)
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- Heat pot of water until boiling; place pasta in pot; pasta will take 10 minutes to cook on average, stir occassionally
- Lightly coat small/medium pan with olive oil
- Heat small/medium pan at low/medium temp on the stove
- When there’s 7 minutes left for the pasta to cook, place handful of spinach, handful of zucchini and/or eggplant, and chopped mushrooms in pan
- Lightly sprinkle ingredients with salt and pepper
- Optional: sprinkle ingredients with garlic powder
- Stir vegetables occassionally
- Once the spinach has wilted, the mushrooms have browned, and the zucchini/eggplant have darkened, the dish is cooked and ready to be served
- Heat hot tomato oil/pasta sauce in the microwave for 1 minute (or on the stove if so desired)
- Eat it all
^^Check that shit out.
Don’t be afraid of pasta. Yes, it’s a carb, but the body needs carbs to function. You can feel good about your pasta habits with this dish and tell your mom that yes, you are eating vegetables, at the same time.
Total Estimated Price: $4.18 cents
Total Cook Time: 12 minutes